Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

how are you?

This question SHOULDN'T be hard to answer, should it?
Well, I have a hard time answering it NOT feel like I'm complaining.
I hear it so often from family, or at church, and when someone asks me (very meaningfullly) "How are you?"
I say, "fine."
I'd say it's an appropriate answer.
Nothing's really wrong, and "fine" about sums it up.
But, I'm sensing that people can hear the 'sigh' in my voice when I say it...so they continue -
How are you feeling?
Ugh.
Here's where the complaining comes in (maybe it's not technically complaining).
"I'm tired." I'll admit.
Why do I tell people this?
I mean, it's TRUE.
Megersa keeps us up at night and man, it's exhausting.
I struggle very much with sleep normally, so repeated wakings for any length of time (and sometimes it's awhile) always make matters worse.
But, if I don't fess up and admit I'm tired, then ineviteably I get someone saying "Oh, you look tired, are you?"
Yes.
It's true no matter how you say it (or don't say it).
I can't avoid the truth.
But then, where do you go from there? Some people press the issue (though I'm sure they don't mean anything by it) and ask about Megersa's sleeping. If I go into it and mention that he is still waking between 1-3 (sometimes more) a night, it just makes me feel like all I have is complaints.
If I try to avoid it, then it gets awkward and I say "no, it's fine. occupational hazard" (etc, etc).
I get those looks. The looks of pity and that 'half smile' (you know the one - with the head cocked to the side). :)
I give them too, I'm sure of it- especially to new moms, because well, waking up at night is the PITS.
I can't imagine one person who would say they enjoy it.

We're praying (and hoping) things get better quickly.
Because it's also hard to answer why he is waking up.
I don't know!
He's only been home 3 weeks and I just am not sure why it's happening, or why it's still happening after 3 weeks. I'm clueless.

Please just pray for Tim and I.
Broken sleep is hard on us as we debate over who got more sleep, whose turn it is to go into his room at night, or who has to wake up with the boys in the morning.
We are both night owls...NOT morning people.
I feel like I'm worse than him, so pray especially for me! :)
And Megersa.
And Cale.
Everyone needs prayer. :)
Prayerfully God will provide Megersa with enough comfort to put himself back to sleep on his own, so we can all get the sleep required...and I can start answering this question with a smiling, happy, non-exhausted face, saying "I'm grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! How are you!" :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure I've given you those looks before, but at least you can be assured that mine are of true EMPATHY, not sympathy. I feel you girl! Last night Weston was up 3 times! Agghhhhh! He's 8 months old...and I have no good excuse! Oh, and I totally understand the debate about who gets to sleep in. Pat and I had one of those fights this morning when W decided he wanted to get up at 5:30. I guess he just wanted to see the Easter sunrise :)

    ReplyDelete