Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

cruel and unusual punishment.

This post may not completely fit the title, but Tim told me I should go ahead and blog about it, because it proves a point.
To me, anyway.
I'll have to start off by saying that we all love Megersa.
His smiles are to die for and the fact that he recognizes each one of us and wants to be in close contact with us all day, every day, is very special......
BUT....
THIS KID CAN WHINE.
And I mean whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinee!!!!!!
What's his deal you ask?
You got me! Tim and I cannot figure out his whininess most of the time.
He'll whine when he's on his back, or on his belly. Sometimes sitting up, or standing up.
He whines when you change him, or feed him.
He likes to whine.
Alot.

It's stressful.
He's our baby and we love him, but the whining is a little much.

So...during one of his 'whining fests' while eating, a brilliant idea came to mind.
Apparently I'm not good at shoveling the food in fast enough, or he was mad I was taking a bite of my own food instead of offering him more...whatever it was, I decided to see if I could stop the whining.

See, Megersa likes food.
He likes apples, bananas, sweet potatoes, peaches, pears, squash, carrots, oatmeal, and rice.
He does NOT like green beans or peas.
(Do you seeing where I'm going?? :)
So, I'm shoveling, shoveling, and he's whining, whining...and though try as I might, he doesn't respond to me telling him to "stop whining"...so I walked myself to the fridge, and took out some green beans.
I make my own baby food, so I bet these beans taste worse than the canned stuff...because it's straight beans...nothing added, no salt, sugar, preservatives...nothing.
I started smiling as I walked back to his high chair.
He saw my hand reach for his spoon, and the whining increased....so I scooped up a great big spoonful of green beans and put them in his wide-open-birdie mouth.
He swallowed; (as he always does - thankfully he hasn't figured out how to spit things out yet), but then shuddered...and he screwed up his face and made that hilarious "this tastes AWEFUL" face!
A ha!
Gotcha! That'll teach ya!

Did it work?
Well, to be truthful...not exactly. It's certainly made him more tenative to open his mouth up for fear of more green beans, and he's eaten more green veggies in the last 2 days than he has before...but I'm not sure he's grasping my homemade punishment.

Anyone have any tricks for the whines????
We need help.
Or maybe, I can just figure out how to add some sanity to our own food.
Let me check if I have the recipe.............

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if you've had a chance to read our blog but we've battled that as well... part of me just thinks they've learned to do that in an orphanage to get their needs met. We've tried to be patient but it is very stressful. And with food its at it's peak. I've been told this is 'normal' for their circumstances. I do think it gets better as time goes on, as long as we don't throw him for a loop with something new or go to far from the 'routine'.

    ReplyDelete