Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

2 months

Megersa has been home for 2 months!
I can't believe it.
Sometimes he feels like he's been with us since November, when we got his referral.
And then at times it feels like he just got here.
I have had to remind myself, more than once, that I now have children.
I was speaking with a doctor on the phone today for about 20 minutes, and she said, "man, your children are quiet!"
Do I have children? plural?? WEIRD!!


The boys are great together. I've caught Cale trying to get Megersa's attention, so he can make him laugh. It doesn't take much either. The Goob will laugh (or at least smile) at Cale when he is jumping, playing guitar, running around...almost anything.
It's very funny to watch them "play" together. Cale seems to take his 'big brother' role as a 'second-in-command' to Tim and I. He tries to order Megersa around. If we correct him for something...he will mock our tone and authority when he sees Megersa doing something he deems "wrong." Oh boy.

Tim and I have enjoyed growing our family. There have been ups and downs of course, but not every step of parenting Cale in the early days was joyous either.
The good far outweighs the bad.
We love to watch Megersa's face light up when he sees us.
Tim loves to tickle Megersa. He loves to lay on the couch with Megersa on his chest. Not that Goober stays still very long anymore...he's SO active - just like Cale was.
He rolls around all the time, and he is DESPERATELY trying to crawl (it's only a matter of time).

I love rocking Megersa to sleep at night. Sometimes for naps too.
He tends to nap better when I snug him close and tight and feed him a bottle. It doesn't always happen - outside forces don't always allow it...but when there is quiet time for the both of us, it recenters me. I know I'll have about 10 minutes to comfort him, soothe him, pray for him, and bond with him.
I'm enjoying wearing him on my back in the ERGO too.
I loved wearing the ERGO in ET. It felt like I was "pregnant on the outside." A perfect way to just walk around, bond, and explore the area that I was in.
But I need no exploring here.
In the house, I need my hands and arms, free. Wearing him in the front prevents me from truly being able to bend over and get toys, or unload the dishwasher...
Wearing him on my back is much easier for movement. It feels lighter, and I can wear it super tight, like a backpack. Megersa ALWAYS falls asleep in it. Even if he was only up for an hour beforehand. He seems squirmy to get out at first, but then kinda just gels in...then falls asleep.

The challenges we still face at 2 months are these:
1. There is still some whining. Not as much as before. It seems as though his whining is in relation to his mood. If he naps or sleeps well, I don't notice much of it, if he doesn't - well, cranky Goob is what we get. Usually we just have to ride out the cranky until the next nap time, and hope the next one goes better.
2. There are still some food issues. He's becoming a TAD more adventerous with food. The other day Cale and I were eating cheeze-its, and Megersa was in his exersaucer, watching us. He seemed so interested, so I held one out to his mouth, and he opened it. He licked it, and then grabbed for it. He sucked on it for a little bit, but kept dropping it. I thought that was HUGE progress, until days later when I put a rice crispie in his mouth, and he made himself vomit....
He will gnaw on his teething biscuits and pickles, but that's it.
I guess we'll have to see where we are at 3 months home.
3. He's still waking up once a night. And I'm still giving him a bottle. I feel like he's CAPABLE of sleeping through the night, but I dont want him to cry himself back to sleep if all it takes is a bottle. He does suck the whole thing down, so maybe he's hungry. Or maybe it's habit?
I may try to start watering it down and see what he thinks of it. If it gets to wear it's only water, he may just "pass" on the whole night-waking thing!
(A funny little song just popped in my head "When you wish upon a star....." - this should be my parenting theme song.)
4. His stranger anxiety seems to be lessing a teeny bit. A few weekends ago, my mom and her friend came to visit. My mom's a very active Gramma (which I LOVE!!!!!) and cherishes waking up early to get the grandkids. BLESS HER.
Having only seen her once in his life, and Debbie, never, I feel as though Megersa was taken back. He didn't cry or anything...he just acted weird that day. And the next. Avoiding eye contact with others (and sometimes us) and darting his head around were some of the symptoms. That Sunday when we went to church, he fell asleep in the carrier on the way over. We brought him into the big service with us. We figured it'd be best if he woke up to our faces. But when he woke up, he was shaking! Poor fella. Too much commotion, or too much change. Since then we've decided not to take him anywhere that he didn't need to go. If we take him to the store, we leave him in the carrier or ERGO where it seems he feels 'safe.'
I initially planned to bring him to my cousin William's wedding in PA on the 22nd, but decided against it. He needs as much time to "cocoon" here as possible.
In a month, we are going on NESTER FAMILY VACATION - and I hope he's okay there.

So, that's where we're at, 2 months into being a family of 4. And, here's the cuter 1/2 of us:

No comments:

Post a Comment