Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

random acts of kindness

Have I gotten bigger in the past week or so?
I mean...noticeably so?
Because today I can record 3 random acts of kindness from total strangers.
Maybe it's not just the belly...maybe they see me at McDonalds with my purse slung over one shoulder, a baby on the opposite hip, trying to balance the food tray, yelling for Cale to "grab your drink, the tray is too heavy!" while he shouts back "which one is mine?!"
A man stopped me mid-fluster, looked in my eyes and said, "Mam, would you like some help?"
It kinda took me by surprise. How kind of him to offer.
Before that I was at Walmart with the boys. Megersa was strapped in the cart, but Cale was loose...climbing the counter to make sure the cashier scanned his 'sparkle' toothpaste.
When I handed her the gift card for payment, she dropped it on my side of the counter. I looked down... (Bending over hasn't been a favorite movement of mine even before I was pregnant with twins.)
But, the man in line behind me quickly reached down at the same time I was, and offered to pick it up. (I was already inches from it, so I did end up grabbing it myself...but again...)
How nice!
And while in line at the restroom, holding Megersa's squirming hand and keeping a hawk eye on Cale (making sure he doesn't look between the cracks or under the stalls), the lady in front of me asked "do either of the boys have an emergency that can't wait?" I told her "for the moment, we were in line because Mommy had to go." She glanced at my belly and asked "Is it an emergency?" While I smiled and said I'd be fine, she stepped back guestering for me to walk ahead of her...just as two stalls were opening. She willingly offered me the handicaped one, which is almost a must with all I bring in. :)
Another wonderful person!!
Ironic that these little 'Good Samaritan' moments are happening now -
I've been filling out the twins' "Belly Book" religiously. There is so much to write down this pregnancy and I don't want my memory to fail me later on...
Anyway, I've had to skip the section of the book where it wants me to write "the first time a random stranger gave up their seat or a spot in line for you - or another act of kindness with regards to your belly." Well, nothing like that had happened.
To the contrary actually - I was ready to write down the time that a women literally pushed her cart into my backside while I was loading groceries and trying to keep an eye on my kids (making me topple forward on to my cart) because she was trying to get in line ahead of me....
But today, I can fill out that page with a positive note.
Today was a nice day.
I appreciate you, random strangers.
And whether it's because you take pity on me; you find it amusing to watch me maneuver tasks with a big belly and 2 children in tow; or simply because it's Christmas time.....today you warmed my heart and your acts will forever be recorded in Thad & Zac's Belly Book.

3 comments:

  1. awww how nice! what baby/belly book do you have? i've been looking for one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Katie! It really did make me tear up. I find it rare when I receive random acts of kindness, but when I do, it is just so awesome. Hearing you describe yourself at the cash register gave me the giggles too-only I'm not pregant with twins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lady seriously rammed into you??? Goodness graciouS! I'm glad you've gotten that incident replaced! I can't say it enough...I SO wish we lived closer!

    ReplyDelete