Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

attempt: fail.

Good golly, it's kinda embarresing to say that Tim and I have not yet re-adopted Megersa here in Maryland. Time flies, and though the intention was there...it has not happened.
Until today. The attempt...not the actual thing.
See, we have talked about "going to the courthouse on _____..." so many times, but it just didn't happen.
Things would get hectic and the phrase "Lets just go another day..." would be said.
((We procrastinate. I know.))
ANYWAY...Today I was determined.
Because Tim's day off is Monday, that is normally our day to schedule doctors appointments or visits that require everyone to be there (professional pictures...tours of preschools, whatever it is). But, because of these two little fellas growing in my belly...Mondays are often taken up by my doctors appointments.
Sure, at this point it's only 2 Mondays a month (one visit for the regular OB and another for the high-risk OB), but come a few more weeks, both will want to see me every 2 weeks, then every 1 week. That's 2 doctors visits a week for just me! Plus, MOPS is on Monday.
So the "open" days to get things accomplish are dwindling signficantly.
Thursdays morning though, can work....provided we are ambitious.
Tim has worship practice at 7pm on Thursday night. So instead of going to work from 9-5 then leaving again at 6:30, he stays home until just after lunch, then comes home around 10pm.
Kind of a weird schedule, but my mind has adjusted to Thursday evenings alone with the boys. Leftovers, sometimes grocery shopping, and always...bath night.

Back to today...I got up, dressed myself and the boys...gave them breakfast...coerced Tim into the shower, and we packed into the car.
I had the address (for our GPS) and M's ET birth certificate, passport, and offical documents.
Per other friend's experiences, I fully intended to ask the court for readoption papers, fill them out, wait for a judge to break free and sign our papers, and then skidaddle on out.
I even entertained the thought of celebrating this feat by going out to lunch afterwards...
NOPE.
Aftering figuring out which line we were suppose to stand in, I waited my turn, then asked for the papers. The teller handed me a folder and said "This is only a guideline. In Maryland, you must complete your paperwork at home, retyping these documents yourself as a petition to readopt. Send in your original documents as well as copies with a request that you want the originals back. Make the $135 check payable to us, and mail it in with the rest. You will get your originals back at the court hearing." My brain was trying to comprehend what she was saying, but I was still a little baffled that we weren't gonna be able to do anything there. (On a day we were ambitious!!)
I had dressed the boys cutely, prepared for a picture! Gosh!!
I asked her to repeat herself as I wrote down what I could understand.
This is the first page of the packet: Tim was in the foyer playing with Cale, so I tried to relay her instructions as best I could, and then we left.
SO....nothing truly was accomplished today....it's just a story I thought I'd share.
Because we tried, and because it is annoying that it still hasn't happened. ;)
But, hopefully in another Thursdays time we'll have sent this paperwork back. :)

1 comment:

  1. oh bummer!!!! ours was not that involved at all. we went once, filled out the forms, judge signed, they handed the papers back, and that was it. so sorry it didn't go as you were hoping! every state is different. but don't feel too bad. Pennsylvania's is much more annoying. You actually have to hire a lawyer to do it, so it's costly! but it's not like nothing was accomplished...you did get the paperwork to do so don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete