Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

1 year and 6 months





So, I'm not much into blogging these days. I have my concentration on other things. Perhaps it's just a phase and I'll get back into it soon.
But I feel bad not mentioning the things happening recently.
Megersa turned ONE!
((I have to confess that it really irks me not to know when his actual birthday is. IS he really 1? He could very still be 11 months or maybe even older... but there's just something about that day. That one special day you can call yours. And I don't know when his day is. Sure, the 3rd of Sept is the day he was assigned, and for all intents and purposes, it'll do just fine. I just wish I knew his actual day. The day he came into the world. Sigh. Maybe in a few years I can give this up, but for now, it bugs me.))
ANYWAY....We'll say he's 1. YAY!!
Happy Birthday to Megersa!
Nothing terribly exciting happened on his actual day. A few fun presents from grandparents (a savings bond from Grammie, a jack-in-the-box and toy tape measure that plays music from Nana & Pop-Pop) and a bubble machine from us (though Cale still thinks it's his).
I have to admit that he didn't get to taste sugar for the first time on his big day. Funny how with your first child - all those funny "rules" that you put into place - get thrown out the window, because it's "so cute to watch him lick his lips after he eats ice cream" (or whatever).
He's had sugar.
He did like his birthday cupcake very much, but was hesitant to feed himself the icing - perhaps it's color or texture?
Other than that though, same ol, same ol. Birthday 2 tends to bring about a party. I dont recall doing anything special for Cale's 1. A few presents and cake, but no party. I think I went over-the-top for his second, so I guess I can do the same for Megersa next year! :)
So...why does the title say 1 year and 6 months?
Megersa just turned 1, yes...but he's also almost been home for 6 months (on the 13th)!
And since I took care of him in Ethiopia since the 9th of March this past year, in a few days it'll be 6 months since we've been physically together.
2 events in one blog post.
Both about Megersa, so appropriate to stick together.

Things he's been up to:
He's walking across the room. He still looks a bit like we're slipping stuff in his bottle, the way he drags his feet and swerves...but he gets where he wants to. He can bend at the knees and get himself up without pulling on anything (that's pretty recent and requires a great deal of strength...I think).
Not really any new words: Mama, Dada, Baba, "Ohh!"
He's getting better in the food department. Still doesn't enjoy trying new foods. In fact, it was pretty funny to see him staring at the cupcake and not touching it, until I put some of the frosting in his mouth and he realized it was quite tasty. But his list of foods that he willingly eats is getting longer...so that's good!
His hair is certaintly getting crazy! I've kept the back and sides shorter until his bald spot grows in all the way. ((When he came home it was COMPLETELY bald...to the skin!)) But the top is getting quite a bit of length on it, and I enjoy brushing it out very much! Initially Megersa didn't care much for it, but when I got a wider-tooth comb, he seemed to settle into the good feeling. He puts his head on my lap as I fluff, fluff, fluff!! One day I think I brushed it for 10 minutes straight.
And I have to admit I've put headbands in his hair, just so we can all chuckle at him. He really IS a pretty little boy, and I swear that if I put a dress on him with one of my headbands, he could easily pass as our daughter. ha ha.
What else?
Hm...well...when we first brought him home, he was fine with Cale "choosing" his toys for him. ie: taking the toy Megersa was playing with and swapping it with something else. NOW? oh boy! Megersa shows his displeasure by screeching at Cale. I honestly didn't think I'd be playing referee this soon in their relationship.....but it must be done. Because, it's not always Cale's fault - sometimes he's just taking something from Megersa that he shouldn't be playing with - like...garbage. :)
I feel like as of recently, he's been warming up to other faces that perhaps he deems "familiar." A few of my friends get smiles on a regular basis, while most others try hard to no avail; I can always get him to smile by doing something the nannies did in Ethiopia - it's kinda like pinching his cheeks, but not exactly: I use my thumb and middle finger to bring his cheeks forward in a 'kissy' face, quickly, and lightly. It's hard to describe...but it works. Every time. It seems like people relax once they see him smile and stop trying so hard.
He has his 1-year check-up on Friday, and our 6 month post-placement report on Monday. I dont know that he gained enough weight to be able to turn his car seat facing-forward (it's 20 lbs, right?). But I know that he would LOVE it. When we purchased our new-used van, we got a DVD player put in, and that poor baby strains to look backwards at it. (I guess it doesn't help that Cale says "look, Megersa, look!" every couple minutes.) I'm certain he got taller. He still a bit of a shrimpo, wearing mainly 6-9 month clothing...but some of the onesies are beginning to pull on his shoulders (indicating a vertical growth spurt). Cale had the opposite problem when he was in those clothes. :)
So, that's about it.

....Until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment