Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

My experience.

So far my experience with the "awkward stares" and "rude questions" has been close to none.
Sure, I get the occasional sideways glance, but to be completely honest, I've avoided direct eye contact since I was a shy teen, so I can't say I've caught any "looks gone bad."
God has protected my heart. It seems if anything, people comment on how dang cute Megersa is.
Yesterday while in Barnes and Noble a young girl asked me if both were mine. Yep.
It didn't bother me. They ARE both mine. Why would I be offended?
People are curious. I am curious when I see families of different races...I always have been. Before adopting myself, I gave looks...but looks of interest and hope that someday my family would be similar.
Anyway, this girl said something about how she wants to adopt someday. I was never so bold as to ask someone, but if I had, I probably would have said the same.
Today there was a mother-daughter couple behind us in line at Walmart. Cale, being the extremely friendly person that he is, started up a conversation with them. Starting off by asking them their names, of course. They both answered and then asked him about Megersa. "Is this your brother, or a friend?"
I told them it was his brother. Cale chimes in, never wavered..."this is my baby brother, Megersa."
The lady then proceeded to ask me if he was adopted. "Yes."
Is he from Ethiopia? she continued. "Yeah, he is." I was impressed!
Apparently her church had missions teams sent to Ethiopia on a regular basis, and she said that she could now pick out Ethiopian faces from a crowd. Very cool.
One day Tim and I and the kids were at McDonalds and a certain old gentlemen WAS giving us looks. Not snide looks, but definitely can't ignore it looks. I wondered what he was thinking. We continued our meal, and then the man came over to talk to us.
His expression was hard to read and I braced myself for something that could PERHAPS be taken as rude. I was on the defense that time, but it was fine.
He asked what "country this young fella hailed from" and we answered. He continued to tell us that he had 2 children adopted from different areas of the world, and that several other of his extended family members were also adopted internationally.
So, thus far...in the 5 months and 1 week Megersa has been home, I have gotten comments and looks...but nothing rude. Nothing unfortunate thus far. I'm sure it is coming someday, but I hope that when it does I can answer knowing that MOST people aren't TRYING to be ignorant...they are curious. And, they may have a good reason for being curious. Maybe they want to adopt someday. Maybe they are interested in the country from which your child is born, or MAYBE they give you looks because they remember rearing children transracially and are blessed to see young couples doing it too.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD!!! That last picture of Cale and Megs....I am melting! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete