Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

copy-catting

Normally, copy-catting drives me a little bit crazy...
But in these 2 instances, I think the benefits are DANDY:
1. in Megersa:

Megersa's words, specifically...
This kid is a fountain of speech! At almost 17 months, he will try and say pretty much everything you ask him to say. A full blown 'copy-catter'. M now affectionately refers to himself as "Sussa" and not only mimics words, but understands their meanings (about 75% of the time). It's helped tremendously in our communication skills and his discipline (since we now KNOW when he understands what we are asking).
I regret to admit he's figured out what "mine" means...because when he and big brother get arguing about a toy, nothing gets resolved. The volume of their demand: MINE! gets louder, but neither gives up. *sigh*
I do very much enjoy that he walks around the house saying "Mommy, mommy, mommy..." because if you remember, only a few short months ago, we were tuned into the 'all things Dada, all the time' channel, and I was feeling left out.
Wanna know what he calls Cale? "Ca-ca." (Yes, it's very funny...turns out when he was saying "Cole" before - he meant cold.)

So, that's the 1st copy-cat scene.
The 2nd comes to a fault at my expense:
2. in Cale:

Chores FOR CALE. :)
See...I enjoy the blog 'It's Almost Naptime' very much. ((It's on my blogroll if you're interested.)) So much in fact, that the stories of her son Shepherd sparked my interest...and now Tim's and my joint decision that Baby B will be named Shepherd! ;) At any rate, just a few days ago blogger 'Missy' wrote about "The joys of child labor."
This I had to read!

I'm not exactly sure the ages of her children, but I know at least one of them is similar to Cale - so I went with her line of chores. Things I thought Cale would be able to accomplish.
I developed a morning chore chart AND and afternoon chore chart for him.
So, how is it going?
Swimmingly, actually! He loves the clip art I put next to each chore, and he very much enjoys marking off (or "checking") each chore he's completed. I have yet to give him anything but verbal praise, and as long as that works, there doesn't need to be anything furthur.
Please forgive the terrible quality of these pictures. Yet again, my current camera has failed on me. It's beginning to be a bit annoying.
I'm pretty sure last year around this time I also had a broken camera.
At any rate, here are the chore charts: And here are his chores (since it's basically impossible to see each one):
In the AM:
Put pajamas in hamper if dirty, or on dresser if clean
Brush your teeth
Put diaper in KITCHEN garbage.
(yes, he still wears one at night)
Put on your clothes: shirt, pants, socks, undies.
Pray with Mommy or Daddy and give everyone a hug.
When you take out toys, put them away
. (this is meant to be accomplished before naptime)
Clean up your dishes after breakfast.
Turn off lights and fans upstairs (which is his favorite)

In the PM:
Clean up after your snacks.
Set the table for dinner.
Clean up your toys before bedtime.
Brush your teeth before bedtime.
Tell Mommy, Daddy and Megersa "I love you."
Put on your pajamas.
Read a Bible story.
When you go potty, flush the toilet.
Wash your hands and face
(This applies always when dirty, but specific to bedtime to earn the "check.")

You've heard the saying: "It takes a village to raise a child."
I'm beginning to think that perhaps my village is part cyber. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment