Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

the Y

Growing up, my Mom always took us to the YMCA...affectionately known as the "Y" in our household. I have fond memories of the place: I attended 'Beavers' (aka preschool), took gymnastics, soccer, basketball lessons...went to Day Camp, and worked out with my mom. I can remember taking lunch and eating at the indoor picnic tables 'across the way' from the snack and soda machines! They even had a barber shop where my brother got haircuts when we were really small. I can still map out the place in my head. I'm sure if I strolled in there now, I'd be able to navagate my way around and give you a tour of where I spent alot of my childhood!

Anyway, it's no surprise that Mom is still a 'religious' member of that Y even today.
Well, moving away and getting married (with less cash flow)...and especially having children can move goals like finding time and $$ to join a gym, out the window. And they did. The last year we lived in Illinois I decided to get a pool membership for the Fox Valley Park District. It was a great escape at first...I enjoyed the time I could spend in the pool...getting exercise and being alone, but as time went on, it began to be more difficult. The childcare was not free, so I tried as best I could to go when Tim was home to watch Cale. This would make me feel like I was "on the clock" and needed to be home asap....which was less relaxing. The drive to the gym took 20 minutes, so going back and forth was 40 minutes of my time right there... I kinda got bored with the same routine and didn't look forward to it as I once did. I ended up forcing myself go on days off so that the membership fees wouldn't come out for nothing...
So, when we found out we were moving to MD, I was happy to cancel my membership and Tim was very glad that that $17 per month would be back in our bank account.
He didn't grow up with the fond memories I had that associated around a gym. He didn't care much for working out in the traditional sense. Tim always told me that his "ideal workout (is still probably) playing a pick-up game of basketball a couple times a week"....And that's true, organized sports I think is much more fun than jogging on a treadmill...or outside. But unfortunately, the opportunity doesn't present itself very often.

So, where am I going with this? Back to the Y.
After moving here and settling in with Megersa, the area, the people, and the house...I found myself "venturing out" more than I ever did in IL.
I started looking for local gyms. Before we purchased our second car and were sharing our van (ugh!), I was interested in the closest gym possible...in the hopes that I could walk there with the boys.
Childcare was a MUST. An absolute must. Think about it: My other gym charged $2 per child/per hour for childcare each time we went. Oh, $2? That's not too bad. But think about it - even going 2x a week, adds up to at least $16 a month (extra!). The membership itself was $17, and that was just for the pool! Double the cost.
Now I have 2 kids!!
So, the first thing I'd ask when calling gyms was "Do you have FREE childcare?" If they say no, I say thanks and hang up. Not interested.
Well, I stumble upon a gym that is close. Really close. Walking distance (although by this time we have our second car). Free childcare. ...Looking good so far. I schedule a tour...we all went.
The gym was unimpressively small. Shockingly so, considering they were asking for $69 per month for a family membership! No TVs on the machines (another "must"). The butt kicker was the childcare room. YUCK! It was a kiddie table with chairs, and a few toys pushed up against the wall. "Do you accomadate babies?" I asked. "Sure do!!" was our tour guide's response. Where??!?!? There was no bouncer (though Megersa was out of them), no exersaucer, packnplay, high chair...mat?! Nothin! Asking pretty sarcastically now, I say "Where do you PUT them?" And this was the reply:
(I kid you not.) "Most of our mothers with babies bring them in a car seat or stroller of some sort."
WHAT?! Okay, maybe a mom brings them in that way, but I'm wondering if these mothers know their children stay in them the whole time! YIKES!!! by the way, Cale wasn't even interested in staying there...we asked him "do you wanna play here for a little while?" NO.
So, needless to say, we threw the 1 week trial card in the garbage and I continued my search...
This is getting a little long, I realize...I'll try to speed it up:
I met a new friend. She and I just "clicked." You know how certain people just "click" together? Well, I think we did. Our personalities are very similar, and apart from her not liking sweets (seriously!! ;), we get along great!
So, this friend WORKS at the YMCA. And she tells me that families can apply for scholarships for memberships. Really? Who knew! I mean, that would be awesome! I set up an appointment to check it out. We all went. Everyone was impressed. Awesome, free childcare (for members)...2 hours PER DAY. A gymnasium for basketball, a workout room with many elipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes and rowers WITH tvs. An indoor track, 3 pools, private locker rooms, racketball courts, and several 'studios' for aerobics, ect. WOW! They continued our tour and showed us the preschool, youth, and school-aged rooms. This was awesome.
We were sold. Well...almost. The price for a family membership is $74/month. Not terrible considering what you get, but still...that's alot of money.
But, like my friend stated, there was a scholarship we could apply for. And we did. Right before we went on vacation to NC. We were told it would take up to 4 weeks to process it, but, by the time we got home, the approval letter was in the mail!
We got a 75% scholarship to the "Y." Everything mentioned above for only $19 a month!!
Thank you Lord!
We have truly enjoyed it! The kids like playing together in the safe, fun, "playroom" with lovely caregivers (2 of whom Cale has a crush on)...and we enjoy spending time working out. Watching TV without someone standing in front of the screen. Sweating up a storm and then showering without someone asking if they can "come in." Lap swimming then relaxing in the whirlpool. And that's just the beginning. My mom's coming to visit in a week and she COULD NOT BE HAPPIER that we have joined the Y. See, memberships are transferrable. She can use our Y and we can use hers when we go there. She is already talking to me about all the classes she takes and wants me to try. So, I'm sure in a few weeks I'll have another blog post about the wonder of organized classes (unless I hate it. :). It's been great.
I've been told that there is also a scholarship for preschool. I intend to get on that stat.

No comments:

Post a Comment