Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Bethany Beach

When writing my "beach" post a week or so ago, I realized it was getting WAY too long to continue due to over-descriptions and numerous pictures.
I figured I'd take a seperate post to show pictures of our beach trip the boys and I took to Bethany Beach.

When I was a kid, we spent one week every summer....every summer at Bethany Beach with my Dad. We started going even before my parents split up, so that was a LONG time ago!! Let's say, 20+ years. Crazy, I know!
Well, growing up, it was the best. We'd all pile into a van, with 'the cousins' (I have 20 cousins on my Dad's side, and many came)...drive 5+ hours, then pile into a house, sleep anywhere we can, and just spend all day at the beach and pool. I can't remember ever resting...ever wanting to go inside...
I have MANY mental pictures of the various small rooms that 4-5 of us girls shared (with only 2 beds). Every morning we'd wake up, eat breakfast and get dressed for the beach. We'd stay at the beach until some parent came down and brought us lunch. Normally, lunch was taken to a nearby pool, so we'd eat there (less sandy for sure). After eating, we'd wait the appropriate time (30 minutes, per Poppy's demand!) before we got back in the water. We'd swim in the pool until just before dinner time.
When we got back to our place, we'd take turns showering and getting "dolled-up" (though this was more when we were teenagers) for Downtown Bethany. Sounds glamorous, doesn't it? Well, it's basically one street with all kinds of shops. When we were kids though, I can remember thinking it was SO long, and so interesting! :) After dinner we'd go downtown and window browse, or walk to the boardwalk. Occasionally we'd walk back on the sand to our condo. It was wonderful! Next day - Rinse and repeat.
I believe I went faithfully until Tim and I got married.
Making a trip from Ohio or IL is much harder than it sounds...especially when your husband only gets 2 Sundays off a year. We'd have to make the trip in 2 days, and if we didn't want to use one of our Sundays (which we normally save for Christmas and Thanksgiving), it just wasn't worth it...for 6 days, 4 spent driving.
Last year we went with Cale. We flew.
It wasn't what I remembered. Of course, pre-children means pre-responsibility. Saving money for gas and souveiners isn't QUITE the same as mooching off your parents for ice cream and hermit crabs. (Yes, every year I'd get at least one new one.) :) In my head though, I pictured spending all morning at the beach (just as I always did), then spending time at the pool. BUT, when you have a toddler that needs napping (or he'll SNAP!!), lengthy stays on the hot sand just dont happen. It's much harder to be the parent who is continually telling everyone (relatives plus their friends, spouses, boyfriends/girlfriends) to please be quiet because "baby is sleeping!" And you can't always spend time with your hubby in the waves, because someone needs to stay on the shore to make sure YOUR little one doesn't run into the water.... Oh well. Things change, huh? We live life vicariously now, don't we?
This year, what with being much closer than we have been for years, I went with my boys, alone. This wasn't Dad's usual week of beaching. It's not the week where all the relatives go. There wasn't the chaos of having a million people there...just my dad, stepmom and 2 half-brothers. I was able to share a room with Cale, and put Megersa in our loft room (because he still wakes at night). We DID spend the morning at the beach (but much less time than I did as a kid) and came back for a peaceful nap...this time me napping with them. We spent time at the pool and walked to the boardwalk too. It went relatively smoothly for me being without Tim...but then again, it was only 3 days. I love watching Cale play in the sand...and "run away" from the waves. I love to see Megersa splash in the pool water (he still has a distaste for the ocean). At night we flew kites. And though I wanted to take the kite and fly it a little bit for myself, I smiled inside at Cale's pure delight when he moved the string and watched the kite move. It was hilarious to watch Megersa figure out that sand...isn't so bad, especially at night when the beach is cooler. I observed him picking up handfuls of sand and let the granules run through his fingers as he stared obsessively. He didn't see me watching and couldn't figure out the wonder of this new phenomenon....
I guess the days of my care-free beaching are gone. Long gone...but I bet before you know it, THIS is one of the memories that I'll be reliving when I think "Bethany Beach."
Here are some pics from our trip:
Uncle Jeffrey and Megersa.
The boys all hanging out. They were so fun!Poppy. He spends most of the week right there on the couch.The boys in the pool. I think I kept the flash on by accident. Whoopsies.He was ready to dive in. He VERY much enjoyed the pool.I love this pic, because if you look closely, you can the string in Cale's hand and trace it all the way to the kit in the sky. Coolness.Our scary shark kite! It was pretty awesome. Megersa in the baby swing while we were flying kites.Megersa LOVED this. A marvel every time he did it. Uncle Bobby is in the background.Cale & Jeff running from the waves.My stepmom took this shot, I think it turned out great! We just wish Daddy were in it.The Goob was a bit happier in the sand this time around!! Brotherly love. Cale & Uncle Jeffrey playing in the sand. My brothers Bobby (9 years) and Jeffrey (13 years)Me & the boys on the slide. I wish Megersa was looking!
I used the self-timer on my camera. Several shots were taken, but this was the best one.The boys having fun on the swings. They both LOVE them!

No comments:

Post a Comment