Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I have a dog...and a cat.


Coming to grips with reality, I guess it's time to admit that not only do I have a husband, and 2 young sons; but I have recently aquired a dog and a cat.
I've mentioned before I don't care for pets that I can pet.
But, I have them:
A "doggie" and a "kitty cat," to be exact.
Really? What are thier names?
"Doggie...and Kitty Cat."

Cale named them.........because Cale IS them.

Seriously....he's the ultimate pretender these days. I read in one of my parenting books, or magazines...(some sort of article on 3-year-olds), that around his age is when you start to notice your kids playing with 'imaginary friends.' The writing went into detail of how they are important to your child and their developement...etc, etc.
I thought, yeah, true...but Cale doesn't have any.
However, as I continued to read...I swear this was the last line of the paragraph (as if it makes perfect sense, yet without describing its nature in reality) - "Some children do not have imaginary friends. Some children will pretend they are other creatures, specifically animals, like dogs and cats."
Oh, reeeeeeeeeeally?
Lightbulb.
I don't know...did Cale read this article a few months ago and decided that this was his preferred route of imagination? Did he already know that stepping in and out of characters would be hard for his mother to follow?
Maybe.
Maybe not.
Cale spends probably half of his awake time as Cale. "I'm Cale, Mommy." ((Oh good, I breathe)) and the other half as Doggie. Or Kitty Cat.
"I'm a doggie, Mommy...I'm a doggie." "I'm a kitty cat."
Cute, right?
Yes.
But also a little bit stressful. ;)
He will NOT. I repeat, will NOT answer to the "wrong" name. And his 'off' button to stop repetition is broken. He doesn't care how many times he tells us. I'm a kitty cat Mommy, I'm a kitty cat. Mommy, I'm a kitty cat! I'm a kitty cat!! Mommy!!! I'm a kitty cat!!

Answer him, why don't I?! (Is that what you're thinking?)
I DO!!! Almost every time! He's incessant!!
And I'm not sure what sort of validation he's looking for?!
DO YOU KNOW?? CAN YOU HELP?
Are your children pets? What do you do?
Food in a bowl on the floor? Petting them? A nametag?
I've actually tried some of these...
Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate his imagination...and it's actually quite comical to see people try and talk to "Cale" when he is 'doggie' or 'kitty'....
I just need to know how to get him to switch gears: when I want him to go potty, or change his clothes.....or eat at the table.
What's the secret? Doggie treats?! :)
You're laughing, aren't you??

I'm not sure how long this phase will last. I can remember thinking that his obsession with plugs wouldn't never pass, but it did....
So until then, I welcome suggestions as to how I can house-train these animals.
Thankfully he hasn't researched dogs or cats much, and my 2 new animals don't yet pee on the floor, or shed, or jump up, or lick people.... ;)

I'll close with this, just for fun:
"I'm a doggie, Mommy. I'm a doggie. I'm a kitty cat. I'm a KITTY CAT, Mommy!! I'm NOT Cale, I'm a kitty cat! Daddy, I'm a doggie. I'm a doggie. I'm a doggie, Mommy! Daddy, I'm Cale. Mommy, I'm not Cale, I'm a kitty cat. I'm a kitty cat Mommy. meew, meew (but his meow...is a whine...which makes it worse). I'm a kitty cat..........I'm a DOGGIE! I'm a doggie, Daddy! Daddy...Daddy, I'm a doggie. I'm a doggie........."

Oh, I'm sorry...was that stressful? :)

1 comment:

  1. Funny you should mention having pets :)- Haile started this about a month after coming home. He loved to pretend to be a dog-so one day I decided to treat him just like a dog and served him water and meals in his very own dog bowl (we have some extras) on the floor along side our real dog. It was all fun and games until the real dog started to eat and drink out of 'his' bowls and he began to be human again. Unconventional-yes-does he pretend to be a dog anymore? No. Good thing it worked before my husband got home or that would have been something to explain! Now instead of a dog, I have spiderman to deal with. Apparently, spiderman doesn't like cheese. That's a whole other issue :) but at least there's no barking.....
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete