Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Twin FAQs

In honor of the twins now being 6 months old...I'll start off by posting 6 of my favorite (recent) pictures of them. OH, how adorable they are!!!Hard to believe it's been half a year since these precious little guys came into the world.
Each day I love them more and more.... :)
And since having them I tend to answer a lot of the same questions.
The one I hear the most is - "How do you do it?"
Well, I'm not sure I can answer that any better than..."how can I NOT do it?" I'm not offended and I can see that in an odd way, that person seems to be complimenting me (I think)...less obvious of course than, "better you than me..." but I understand. If you asked 21 year-old, newley-married Katie how she would deal with 4 kids ages 4 and under, I'm sure she wouldn't have anything to say (believing this surely wouldn't happen)...but the older/wiser me has come up with this profound answer:
Its just what we do now.
We've adjusted, adapted and are making it work.
With any addition to a family, the previous members are forced to regroup, reprioritize, and reschedule...until you get accustomed to "the new normal."
But that's just the opening question. The most often asked, but never fully answered to satisfaction....
Here I will address (and answer) others I have heard by my ears or seen with my eyes (Yes, I often feel I can tell what some are thinking when they observe the chaos here......)

In no particular order of importance:
Are your twins on the same schedule?
-Negative. As I mentioned before, my twins are as different as night and day. And in this case, it is a literal statement. Shepherd enjoys sleeping in...much like his momma (smile), but Thad wakes up early. He usually goes longer at night without needing to eat (sometimes a whopping 10-11 hrs), so when he wakes up to eat around 7 or so, he's up. Shepherd enjoys an early morning bottle (usually sometime between 4-6am) but then goes back to sleep. And for the most part, his wake up call for the day is around the 9am hour. ...Once we had to wake him at 11:05a because I was getting concerned! lol.
How much does each baby weigh?
-Good question. They haven't been weighed since they were 4 months old...and boy are they getting to be little chub-chubs! Hang on....I'll go put them on our bathroom scale now.
Shepherd: 16 1/2 lbs
Thaddeus: 17 lbs
(This is of course, me just standing on the scale alone, then adding them and subtracting the difference. Not exactly doctor's office worthy...plus, they had clothes on...but at least it's an estimate.)
Do the babies like their older brothers?
-Yes. For the most part. Cale can really make them laugh by doing the simplest things...like saying "boo, boo, boo!" He can usually get Thad giggling pretty hard. The babies like watching Megersa run around too. It's interesting that when Megersa talks to the babies, it's always in this high pitched little voice. "Hiiiiiiiii Baby!!" Not sure where that comes from...
Does either baby have a favorite parent?
-Yes. Me. Hahaha. Honestly though, perhaps one could say that Shepherd has a slight preference for Mommy (only for care purposes), but as far as love goes...I'd say there is a mutual feeling all around. :)
How do the babies react to others (not in the family)?
-I'll admit that these 2 sometimes seem to live in a bubble. The bubble that is our house. Meaning, they don't get out much. Sad, but true. There isn't anywhere I need to go badly enough to bring all 4 with me, and there really isn't much time during the day where I can even get out - seems like there is always someone napping. They go to church and doctors appointments. At church it seems to be hit and miss. Last week I intended to leave them (or just one even) in the nursery for the first time...but both babies went beserk (even before I got them to the nursery door). We spent the church service in the lobby with Daddy and some friends. :) When people come here to spend time with me (bless you, friends!), the babies seem fine. But they seem most comfortable with me holding them while they interact with the new face.
Do the babies sleep in the same room together?
-Nope. Back to #1 again. Different schedules. When they were tiny we split them up so each of us could take care of one at night. (My husband is a wonderful man for doing that!) Their cribs are in different rooms and to be honest, I'm not sure if they'd both fit in the same room! Of course when they get older the goal will be to put them together, but for now with how different they sleep for both nap and bed...they will remain apart.
Are they eating solids yet?
-A few weeks ago we introduced oatmeal. Thad seems to like it, and Shepherd will take a few mouthfuls. Somedays they are very interested, and others, not-so-much...but I guess they're still "young" (4 months corrected). We aren't pushing it. Once they really start gobbling it, I'll add another feeding in there, and who knows, maybe even some mushed bananas! :)
You say "corrected age" - are they behind?
-Well, yes and no. Because all babies are different, I'm sure there are some babies who hit certain milestones at 4 months, where ours were closer to 5 or 6 months. Sleeping through the night took longer than some term babies I know (but even with that, they still slept better than both Cale and Megersa at this age). And while Cale could roll over around 4 months, I'm sure there are still some term 6 month olds who can't. We think they're doing really well considering their start. They can both roll from belly to back, and Thad is getting close going the other way. Shepherd doesn't seem interested in moving around too much. Thad has always had a stronger trunk. Cale was like that - "standing" as soon as he got strength in his legs.
Do your twins have favorite activities?
-Thaddeus gets a big kick out of being in the exersaucer. Honestly, from the first time we put him in it, he fixated on the spinning toys and could get them going. At first Tim and I thought it was a fluke...but he locks eyes, and will take his hand and spin them away! I'd say that's one of his favorite places. He likes to be on the floor mat too and grab at (and try to yank down) his toys. Shepherd likes the floor mat too, but isn't as interested in the exersaucer (though he'll "stand" there happily). He likes the swing more than Thad does, especially since we hung a link of toys from the top so he can get them in his mouth.
What size clothes are they in?
-Though they are both getting pretty chunky (we think anyway)...they are still in 3-6 month clothes. Considering their slim start at 4 lbs, they're doing well. Tim and I are both very sure they will outgrow Megersa. ;)
Do either of them have any teeth yet?
-No. You might think it the way T drools, but no chompers seem to be coming just yet. Cale was 9 months before he got a tooth, and Megersa was 10 months.
What makes them laugh the most?
-Good question. Of course I told you about Cale. :) Tim can usually get them going pretty good... Both of them LOVE to see Daddy when he comes home. Instant fun, he is. Each baby have pretty good tickle spots in the crease of their legs...and up by their shoulders. Both babies get tickled pink when we change their clothes. It's quite funny to watch.
Do they have differences in personality?
Absolutely. Shepherd is our snuggler. Perhaps it's because he's not as physically strong, he tends to mold into your body, just laying his head up against you. Thaddeus will sometimes push out from the tight holds...apparently fearful he may 'miss something.' Thad is a great eater...he enjoys his bottles and is really getting the hang of baby food. Shepherd is very distracted during feeding times. He coos and smiles at you as the food drools out of his mouth. Sometimes I wonder how he's gained so much weight! :) Shepherd is generally much more "chill" during the day. He's pretty content to stay where you've placed him. Thad likes interaction. He notices faces on everything - the computer screen, our refrigerator door, the television. He demands that SOMEONE look and smile at him! T has another funny quirk. He has recently started fake coughing to get attention. He will also 'growl' when he wakes up, or when he's interacting with his toys. It's so funny. Shepherd has been more of a "talker." One time I was outside reading a chapter of Psalms to them and when I was done, Shepherd continued to talk to me for what seemed like minutes without stopping. It was adorable. They are both quite peaceful when outside, even when they're tired, and are getting better at car rides (where once it was a scream fest). Overall, they're wonderfully happy babies and their little personalities are excellent additions to our family's craziness!

Do you ever get them mixed up?
-I will admit that only once, as teeny tiny babies did I think that one was the other. I'm pretty sure Tim mixed them up once or twice as well...but we attribute it to lack of sleep, and the fact that we had to keep them super bundled (usually only their faces were showing) all day long. Otherwise, no. Their looks, preferences, cries and quirks are just so different...
What is the most challenging thing about having twins?
Hm. I guess just trying to juggle them, their needs, and the needs of the older 2 boys. Add on household chores and trying to spend time with my husband, and well, it's hard to get it accomplished. Each day feels an aweful lot like the day before... So the challenge would be to make each day a little bit special. :)
What is the most rewarding thing about having twins?-Well, it's 2 people to love. Two people who light up when they see your face - two babies who, essentially, would prefer you to anyone else in the world. These babies are a blessing. They are GOOD and healthy babies. God is so wonderful! Multiples stretch a lot of things - your wallet, your patience, your time...but also...your heart, your reliance on God, your love for your spouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment